Monitor Audio Platinum PL 100 II – Bookshelf Speakers
Monitor Audio Platinum PL 100 II – Bookshelf Speakers All the wonder of Platinum II’s crystal clear tonal precision is concentrated by this beautiful little two-way speaker comprising a single 6.5” RDT®II mid-bass driver and MPD tweeter. Easy to place in-room the PL100 II will nevertheless belie its compact dimensions with a wide open soundstage punctuated by breath-taking dynamics and imaging so stable you can almost touch it. A bespoke floor stand (available separately) will position the PL100 II at the perfect listening height.
- 6 1/2″ RDT®II bass / mid driver
- MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer designed specifically for Platinum II
- Single rear HiVe®II port
- New patented ‘DCF’ (Dynamic Coupling Filter) mechanism for more natural sound
- Bespoke speaker terminals and footings
- Underhung, edge-wound voice coils: greater driver efficiency and lifelike dynamics, less distortion
- Bolt through drivers: clearer sound and cleaner aesthetics
- Anti-Resonance Composite (ARC) mid-range housings and baffle components: reduced cabinet vibration, purer sound quality
- Hand-upholstered front baffle: the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead
- Individual driver grilles
- Finish options: Santos Rosewood or Ebony natural wood veneers with clear gloss piano lacquer, or Piano black gloss lacquer
- Optional dedicated floor stand available
Having various applications within a number of our speaker ranges, this high-tech Anti-Resonance Composite material is a thermo-set polymer loaded with minerals to provide very inert, optimally-damped components. Refined by Monitor Audio’s engineers initially for the Platinum series, ARC is ideal for acoustic design, where a high degree of structural rigidity and vibration damping is required in order to prevent the propagation of standing waves and modal resonances.
Platinum II’s terminal design is precision milled from solid copper with Rhodium plated conductor parts. Rhodium has been selected for its excellent electrical conductivity and resistance to oxidisation. Terminals are designed to accept a spade, 4mm banana plug or bare wire, up to 4mm in diameter (7AWG).
A new innovation in every driver replaces the usual rigid coupling of driver and voice coil with a pliable one. This ‘Dynamic Coupling Filter’ is a nylon ring ingeniously calibrated to be rigid up to the crossover frequency, and to act like a spring above it. In so doing the DCF helps to dampen surplus high frequency energy produced by the driver. It’s also perforated to encourage voice coil cooling and release air pressure from behind the cone for maximum driver efficiency. Result: more natural sound.
A new type of port technology which uses a straight rifled design to accelerate air flow and reduce turbulence. HiVe II technology has the ability to move air in and out much quicker than a conventional port, the result is fast powerful bass coupled with superior transient response.